Saturday, November 27, 2021
HomeBreaking NewsImport guidelines for more pork shipments get nod

Import guidelines for more pork shipments get nod

  • The Minimum Access Volume Management Committee approved a resolution which provides guidelines for using 254,210 metric tons of additional pork imports under the MAV+ scheme
  • Incoming shipments will be divided into two tranches: over 70% should arrive within July to October 2021, and the rest from November 2021 to January 2022
  • All pork imports under the MAV+ scheme are open to importers on a first-come, first-served basis, with up to 50 full-container loads allowed per application per importer
  • The resolution follows issuance last May of Executive Order No. 133, which raised the MAV for pork imports “to quell the existing shortage, decrease retail prices, and stabilize inflation”

The Minimum Access Volume (MAV) Management Committee (MMC) has approved guidelines on “calibrated utilization” of additional pork meat imports under the increased MAV, according to the Department of Agriculture (DA).

MMC Resolution No. 1 series of 2021 (Resolution 1-2021) provides guidelines for utilizing the additional 254,210 metric tons (MT) of pork imports under the MAV+ scheme, Agriculture Secretary William Dar said in a statement.

Resolution 1-2021 follows the issuance last May of Executive Order (EO) No. 133, which raised the MAV for pork imports by 254,210 MT from its previous level of 54,210 MT “to quell the existing shortage, decrease retail prices, and stabilize inflation….”

READ: EO signed raising pork import MAV to 254,210 MT

The MAV refers to the volume of quantity of a specific agricultural commodity that may be imported with a lower tariff.

The incoming shipments will be divided into two tranches: more than 140,000 MT or 70% should arrive within July to October 2021; and the remaining over 60,000 MT or 30% should arrive from November 2021 to January 2022.

Under Resolution 1-2021, all pork imports under the MAV+ scheme are open to all importers on a first-come, first-served basis.

A maximum limit of 50 full-container loads (FCL), equivalent to about 1,250 MT, is allowed per application per importer.

The MMC also allowed for a “certain flexibility” in the issuance of permits by DA’s Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI) and National Meat Inspection Service (NMIS) to ensure the additional volume is fully utilized within the current MAV year, February 2021 to January 2022.

Resolution 1-2021 was unanimously approved by the six-member inter-agency MCC as a means to temper rising food inflation. Food prices have been pulled up by high pork prices, mainly due to decreased local hog population as a result of the African Swine Fever outbreak that started in mid-2019.

“There is a need to immediately address the current supply gap in pork meat, and to provide consumers with adequate and affordable food and to lower inflation,” the MMC said.

The MMC is composed of DA, Department of Finance, Department of Trade and Industry, Department of Science and Technology, Department of Agrarian Reform, and National Economic and Development Authority.

READ: Duterte cuts rice import duty, modifies pork tariffs

Aside from increasing the MAV volume, the government also issued EO 135 temporarily reducing the most favored nation (MFN) tariff rates on imported rice to 35% from 40% (in-quota) and 50% (out-quota) for a period of one year.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

11 + 19 =

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

- Advertisment -