PH shares efforts on green shipping, decarbonization

0
234
PH shares efforts on green shipping, decarbonization
Photo from MARINA.
  • The Philippines shared its efforts toward green shipping and decarbonization at the 45th ASEAN Maritime Transport Working Group Meeting held recently in Vietnam
  • The Philippine delegation reported on the drafting of the National Strategy and Action Plan on decarbonization
  • Initiatives in the development and implementation of fuel economy policies and standards and policies towards cleaner fuels and vehicles and vessels were also discussed

The Philippines shared its efforts toward green shipping and decarbonization as part of its commitment towards building efficient and sustainable shipping in the ASEAN at the 45th ASEAN Maritime Transport Working Group Meeting held recently in Vietnam.

Headed by Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA) deputy administrator for Planning, Sonia Malaluan, the Philippine delegation informed the meeting that the Philippines has drafted its National Strategy and Action Plan despite challenges in the implementation of the decarbonization strategy and targets, MARINA said in a statement. The plan was drafted after adoption of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) Revised Strategy on the Reduction of GHG Emission from Ships.

Malaluan described the Policy Menus under the ASEAN Green Ship Strategy as comprehensive, addressing challenges of most of the ASEAN member states.  She noted the Philippines is interested in technical assistance and data, and how the roadmap for decarbonization was developed.

The Philippines also shared its initiatives in the development and implementation of fuel economy policies and standards as well as policies towards cleaner fuels and vehicles and vessels.

For one, the Philippine Department of Energy (DOE) is aggressively implementing the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Act and the Electric Vehicle Industry Development Act.

Under the Philippine Energy Plan 2020-2040, hydrogen is being considered for use in power generation and in the maritime transport sector.

Likewise, the DOE is looking into the possibility of increasing capacity of LNG facilities in the country to accommodate maritime transport, with LNG seen as a transition maritime fuel.

The Philippines also shared updates on the Port and Ballast Water Baselines using Ecological, Microbiological, and eDNA Approaches or the PORTEC Project, which include capacity-building activities on port baselining and microbiology hands-on-training conducted with the maritime sector. Further, the project has completed two-year water sampling on the Port of Manila. About 80% of the collected samples were successfully identified, with the remaining 20% submitted for DNA barcoding.

Meanwhile, the Philippines reported updates on the capacity improvement of the ASEAN network ports, coordination efforts to support the sustainability of the Davao–General Santos–Bitung roll on-roll off route, efforts on Safety, Health, and Environmental management in Philippine ports, and IMO-related efforts and activities.

The Philippine delegation is composed of representatives from the Department of Transportation, MARINA, Philippine Coast Guard and Philippine Ports Authority.

RELATED READ: PH, Indonesia eye resumption of suspended air, roro services