The Cavite provincial government has cancelled the award of contract to the joint venture seeking to develop first phase of the P208.5-billion Sangley Point International Airport Project
Cavite governor Juanito Victor Remulla said the cancellation of contract to MacroAsia Corp. and China Communications Construction Company Ltd. was due to deficiencies in requirements
The project will look for another developer
The provincial government of Cavite has cancelled the award of contract to the joint venture seeking to develop the first phase of the P208.5-billion Sangley Point International Airport (SPIA) Project.
In a disclosure, MacroAsia Corp. said it received a letter from the Cavite provincial government on January 26 cancelling the Notice of Selection and Award issued on February 12, 2020 to the joint venture of MacroAsia and China Communications Construction Company Ltd. following recommendation of the Public-Private Partnership Selection Committee.
In a statement, Cavite governor Juanito Victor Remulla said the cancellation was due to the “various deficiencies of the submission of requirements…”
Remulla clarified that while negotiations have been cancelled, “the project will restart and hopefully have a successful negotiation with any qualified partner by October 2021.”
“I still believe that a new international airport is important for the country in the long run and it must be stressed that cancellation is not in prejudice to anyone applying again,” he added.
The Cavite government in February last year awarded the P208.5-billion contract to develop and implement Phase 1 of SPIA to the joint venture, which was the sole bidder to develop a 1,500-hectare international airport at Sangley Point.
The tandem, however, had difficulty submitting final requirements to comply with all conditions of the project’s Notice of Selection and Award due to the coronavirus disease pandemic delaying the processing and completion of joint venture documents.
After several deadline extensions, the joint venture was finally able to submit their requirements last November 2020.
SPIA is being positioned as an alternative to congested Ninoy Aquino International Airport and is expected to be on a par with Singapore’s Changi International Airport, Hong Kong International Airport, and South Korea’s Incheon International Airport.
The project’s first phase was slated for completion in 2022 and was expected to accommodate 75 million passengers yearly. The second phase of development will follow, with target completion of 2028. The airport can accommodate up to 130 million passengers annually once fully completed.