Home » Maritime » MARINA registers 25% more seamen in 1st half

THERE were more registered seafarers in the first half of the year, with the Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA) issuing 25% more Seaman’s Identification Record Book (SIRB) compared to the same period last year.

In its accomplishment report, the maritime agency said SIRBs issued went up to 76,935 from 61,779 from last year. The Central Office (CO) registered 51,989 (68%) and maritime regional offices throughout the country, 24,946 (32%).

The number of examination permits issued for harbor pilots, major and minor patrons (MAP/MIP), boat captains and marine diesel mechanic examinees for the first six months was at 1,960, 7% lower than with the 2,100 permits issued a year ago.

MARINA noted 23% or 455 of the total were issued by the CO while the remaining 77% (1,501) came from MROs.

It further noted licenses issued to successful passers of the harbor pilot/MAP/MIP/boat captain/marine diesel mechanic examination from January to June 2004 reached 2,657. This was, however, 10% less than the 2,943 licenses issued during the same period in 2003. Of the total licenses issued for the period, the CO gave out 784 (30%) licenses, and the MROs, 1,873 (70%).

Qualification documents

The issuance of Qualification Documents Certificates (QDC) to seafarers is 12% lower compared with the 1,929 QDCs issued during the same period in 2003. The QDC issued by the CO represented 26% of the total (1,703) while the remaining 74% were issued by MROs.

Also for the first semester, MARINA said the number of Training Record Book went up 9% to 1,486 from 1,363 in 2003. From the total, 25% (367) was registered by the CO, and 75% (1,119) by the MROs.
MARINA reiterated it will continue to closely monitor the issuance of seafarers’ documents, licenses and certificates.

Last June, the agency signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to abate the proliferation of tampered, fake or irregularly issued MARINA-issued licenses and certificates.
Under the MOA, a special task force was formed to formulate plans, policies, and strategies in apprehending, investigating and prosecuting those responsible for the irregular issuance of documents from MARINA.

The task force will directly submit its report and recommendations to the MARINA administrator and develop a Personnel Enhancement Program where the NBI will provide lectures, seminars and workshops on forgery detection and investigation techniques.

No comments yet... Be the first to leave a reply!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 
Close
Please support the site
By clicking any of these buttons you help our site to get better
Social PopUP by SumoMe
Copy Protected by Chetan's WP-Copyprotect.