Dock workers on strike at Hongkong International Terminals (HIT) agreed to a 9.8 percent pay increase, ending their work stoppage that disrupted operations at the world’s third busiest container port.
The mass action by hundreds of dock workers seeking a 20 percent salary hike had thrown in disarray the work flow at Hong Kong’s container port. The protesters staged rallies not only at the container port but also outside the office of HIT owner Li Ka-Shing at Cheung Kong Centre building.
HIT, a subsidiary of Li’s Hutchison Port Holdings, had insisted that the protesters’ industrial action should be resolved by the subcontractors that employed them, and not by the port operator.
The contractors on May 3 made a final offer of 9.8 percent to all workers, to take effect from May 1. The strikers voted on May 6 to accept the offer.
HIT said operations at the port had been normalizing as strikers returned and new workers were hired. Since May 4, terminals were 90 percent operational, Hutchison said on May 6.
The strike began on March 28 with some 450 dock workers demanding salary increases and improvements to their working conditions.
Photo: artist in doing nothing