With the current reshuffle at the Bureau of Customs, my interest is actually focused on the impact that this will have on current and future BOC automation initiatives.
Listed below are the key systems which I believe must be included in the list for priority attention of the incoming BOC Deputy Commissioner for MIS and Technology Group Primo Aguas:
– Completion of the ongoing BOC infrastructure upgrade (including data archiving and other long term solutions to e2m system slowdown and capacity related issues)
– Full mandatory implementation of e2m AEDS system for airfreight
– Strict mandatory implementation of advance submission of airline and aircargo electronic manifest
– Replacement of old BOC ACOS system (NAIA and Mactan) with e2m system
In terms of long term and strategic direction, I also look forward to the decision that BOC will make on the integrated Philippine Customs System (i-PCS) and the Philippine National Single Window (PNSW) Phase 2.
Stakeholders Getting Ready For Increased Import/Export Cargo Traffic
Starting October 1 Emirates will commence its direct Dubai-Manila flight. In preparation for this, key stakeholders have begun preparations to take advantage of the increased import/export cargo traffic thereat:
– Emirates Cargo will submit advance electronic cargo manifest to BOC Clark e2m System (it is already regularly submitting advanced e-manifest for its flights in NAIA)
– Manila-based forwarders which submit e-manifest for their import shipments onboard Emirates fights in NAIA are also preparing to do the same in Clark
– Exporters who already submit e2m electronic export declarations in NAIA already commenced 2 months ago to submit electronic ED to BOC e2m System for their exports using Clark as port of loading.
Leo V. Morada is a domain expert on IT applications in Philippine port operations with 25 years senior IT management experience implementing technology solutions in port operations, electronic transactions with customs & port authority, and air/sea port community system applications. He is CEO of Cargo Data Exchange Center, Inc, a customs-accredited Value Added Service Provider. He can be contacted at email@example.com.