The Philippine Bureau of Customs (BOC) last week lifted the suspension of 70 importers and 45 brokers in violation of Customs Administrative Order No 8-2007 and Customs Memorandum Order No 28-2007, which require detailed product descriptions in the import document.
The lifting of the suspension was endorsed by the Assessment and Operations Coordinating Group (AOCG) to the Revenue and Collection Monitoring Group-Legal Service in a memorandum order dated March 10.
At a forum organized by the Chamber of Customs Brokers, Inc on March 12, AOCG deputy commissioner Atty. Agaton Teodoro Uvero said BOC activated the Client Profile Registration System of all suspended brokers and importers on March 11.
Later in a text message to PortCalls, customs broker Rolando Quiambao, one of those in the suspended list, confirmed that by around 6:30 pm on March 11 “our line system was restored” through a system prompt in BOC’s electronic-to-mobile (e2m) system.
Uvero said the next batch of suspensions, if any, may be released only after the Holy Week.
The customs executive admitted the BOC saw some inconsistencies in its procedures in meting out penalty for suspension.
A new CMO is being drafted, he added, integrating all rules on accreditation, suspension, cancellation and approval of importers and brokers.
Moving forward, Uvero warned brokers there will be “zero tolerance on violations”. –– Roumina M. Pablo